Wednesday, April 11, 2012

United High School Media 2012 of the W.Page Pitt School of Journalism and Communications!


This past week SVHS Journalism students had the privilege of attending United High School Media 2012 of the W.Page Pitt School of Journalism and Communications. I personally had a blast! The program was held at Marshall University inside of Smith Hall. From Spring Valley only a handful of students attended. Our group stuck together as we explored all our choices of events to do that day. After much consideration, the SVHS Newspaper Staff decided on Broadcasting for the first of two hours. The Broadcasting lesson was so cool! We met in a real studio where we shot a episode of a comedy strip as well as said the daily news! However, if you aren't into being in front of the camera, there is a spot for you so don't worry! The "backstage" people were in another room controlling sound, the teleprompter, camera shots, and so much more! It was overall a great experience and full of excitement and enthralling information!
After our broadcasting adventures, we ventured off to our second choice of events. First Amendment with Dan Hollis. This was a lecture on information concerning people's rights. It was as if we were hurled into a debate class upon stepping through the door! The fast-paced talking and quick-witted retaliation of not only Professor Hollis but other high school students from all over West Virginia was really intriguing and I could not help but to join in and throw some of my thoughts and opinions out there.
The entire trip was a big fun time for me. Over all looking back there is honestly not one thing I would change about it! While journalism may not be your forte, this course is most definitely worth a try. If anything just go to have a good time! I am sure that it would be an enjoyable experience! I can tell you this for certain, I cannot wait to go back next year!
In addition to all of the fun, educational work shops, there was an award show that followed. All the schools that attended were hoping to be presented with an award to show that they had the best paper around. As our readers know, we are an internet blog and newspaper. This is a brand new experience for us seeing as this is our first year to not be using paper! However, we must be doing something right! Spring Valley brought home second place for Best Online Publication! This is a very high honor in my opinion and I believe that our school should be proud of how much it has accomplished in just the year of 2012. I can only foresee great things happening from here on out! Way to go, Journalism staff!!

3 comments:

  1. After going to the journalism workshop that day, I can't wait to go back either! It was so much fun, and Dan Hollis was such a great speaker. He made it a fun experience, and you can tell he loves his job. The broadcasting session was a great time too! Being able to learn how to use a camera that they use for television was so cool, and seeing how they direct it was very interesting. I learned so much more about the journalism program they have at Marshall, and I don't regret going to it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was a lot of fun and a good learning experience. I'm kind of mad that I didn't go now. It could have really helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the journalism workshops we attended. I can't wait to go back next year. I learned a lot and had fun doing it. Both session taught us a lot of things. The hour we had of Dan Hollis speaking flew by and in broadcasting I loved getting behind the camera. I hope next year is just as great!

    ReplyDelete