Friday, March 16, 2012

E-Book vs. Real Book

E-Books, such as Amazon's Kindle and Barnes and Noble's Nook, can be seen everywhere now a days, though, their are still people that are anti-E-Book and refuse to acknowledge the benefits, such as myself before I actually gave the Amazon Kindle a chance. One of my reasons for not
wanting to transfer over to the electric device was because I thought I would miss the feel of holding an actual book, but that was easily fixed with a book-like case. Though, there are upsides and downsides to both of the formats.

Pros of an E-Book
Easy to carry around- Imagine having to carry around a very thick and heavy book, that would be very irritating. Correct? Now imagine having the exact same book on a much thinner E-Book that you could easily slip into any page or if you have a Kindle app on your SmartPhone you would not even have to worry about the Kindle device itself.

The Prices of books are cheaper- Most E-Books books are, at least, a few dollars cheaper than their paperback counterparts. The work of classic authors such as Bronte, Austen, Hawthorne and others are usually free, though, I have found a few I have had to pay for.

Don't have to bother going to the book store or waiting for a book to come in- I really enjoy that all I have to do after finishing a book is either choice another one from my home screen that I haven't read or turn on the Wifi and go into the Kindle Store and buy a book from my wish list. It's quicker and saves gas.

Cons of an E-Book
Breakable- I am not a stranger to the dangers of breaking an E-Book. They will take a fair amount of damage, but hit it against a hard object one two many times and your device is gone and your out at least $80 dollars to replace it. So, I would not suggest having it around children ages 2 - 10 that like to play rough since that is how I lost one of mine. I'm not sure about water damage since I take extra precaution to avoid getting it on my Kindle.


Have to worry about battery life- The battery life of a Kindle depends on whether you have the Wifi on or not, if you rarely have it on the battery can last up to three months but if you have it on constantly it will last two to two and a half weeks at most. It is really disappointing when you are in the middle of a really good part of the book or just about to finish a book and your device just dies on you.

Don't always have full web access- I have been asked many times if I am able to get on the internet and the answer for the model I have, the Kindle Keyboard 3G, at least is no. I have tried many times to tried many times and it is incredibly slow and the page never fully loads. So, if you want web access get the Kindle Fire or iPad 2.

Pros of a Real Book
Able to lend it out- I get freaked out when someone so much as pokes my Kindle without my permission, so, I would not be caught dead lending it to someone besides my mother, but she paid for it, so, I don't have a choice there. Where's with a standard paperback I see no problem with lending it out once I'm done with it.

Don't have to worry about a battery- This one is pretty self explainable.

Cons
Takes up space: If the book is fairly thick it is going to take up a bit of room in your bag and shelf once you are through with it.

Have to make a trip to the store to buy it or wait for it to come in the mail

2 comments:

  1. i think that e-book are a better way to read its easier than books and lighter. plus real trees are being killed to make real books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it. I read books on it all the time and plus I play a lot of games. I do sometimes miss real books but I love my Kindle. The only major problem I have with it is when I lie in bed and read I fall asleep a lot and it could break. Other than that I love it.

    ReplyDelete